‘Medicine is a science of uncertainty and an art of probability.’ William Osler
Communication in medicine remains one of the most important aspects of care. It is Mr Winters belief that if you can gain a better understanding of your condition then this can often help to understand the treatment choices.
Being involved in teaching at all stages of training and beyond helps Mr Winter to practice those communication skills that are so important in any consultation. Also being involved in teaching the generality of the specialty allows Mr Winter to consider all possible causes for the problem you are seeing him about. It also allows him to maintain his diagnostic skills and stay up to date with emergent treatments beyond the immediate area of his expert skills.
Mr Winter is involved in teaching medical students, junior doctors and other consultants.
Mr Winter has published a number of books and book chapters in ENT:
- Robotic Surgery of the Head & Neck: an Evidence-based Global Approach TORS for oropharyngeal cancer. Vin Paleri, Stuart Winter. Karger “Advances in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology”. Series Editor: Patrick Bradley. Volume Editors: Balazs B. Lorincz and Asit Arora. Due for publication 2018
- Revised MCQs for ENT: Specialist Revision Guide for the FRCS. Stuart Winter, Declan Costello. Oxford University Press. Due for publication 2019
- Scott-Brown’s Otorhinolarnygology and Head and Neck Surgery 8E – Watkinson and Clarke. Chapter 14: Tumours of the larynx. Vinidh Paleri, Stuart Winter Hannah Fox and Nachi Palaniappan. ISBN: 978-1-4441-7589-9. Published 2018.
- Scott-Brown’s Otorhinolarnygology and Head and Neck Surgery 8E – Watkinson and Clarke. Chapter 43: Salivary gland anatomy. Stuart Winter and Brian Fish. ISBN: 978-1-4441-7589-9. Published 2018.
- Viva training for the FRCS. Declan Costello. Stuart Winter. Oxford University Press. ISBN: 0199659508. Published. 2013 – found here
- awarded highly commended in surgical specialities category of the BMA book Awards, 2014.
- Salivary Glands: Anatomy, Functions in Digestion and Role in Disease. Editors: Louis Braxton and Simone Quinn. Nova publishers (www.novapublishers.com). Chapter: Complications of Parotid Gland Surgery. Steven Williams & Stuart Winter. Published 2012
- MCQs for ENT: Specialist Revision Guide for the FRCS. Stuart Winter, Declan Costello, Rogan Corbridge. Oxford University Press. ISBN-13: 978-0-19-953394-7. Published 2009 found here.
Mr Winter Co-organises and runs the annual Oxford Head & Neck Dissection Course.
Mr Winter is invited to teach and has taught on a number of national courses including:
- Da Vinic Transoral Robotic Cadaveric Course
- Birmingham/Reading FRCS (ORL-HNS) Revision Course
- National Intercollegiate Interface Head and Neck Dissection Training, Newcastle.
- St Georges Head & Neck Dissection Course, London